Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Asking the wrong questions?

When it comes to theology, is it possible to ask the wrong questions?

Here’s what I mean: The Reformed/Protestant traditions often ask questions like these?

1) Is it possible for Christ’s body and blood to be present in the Sacrament?

2) Is it possible for an infant to have faith?

These questions are usually answered “No. It’s not possible for Christ’s body to be present more than one place at one time.” And “No. It’s not possible for infants to believe.”

And, as much as my three pound brain can figure, these answers are right. But what if they are the wrong questions?

As a Lutheran (evangelical catholic), these aren’t the questions with which we begin. In fact, there’s only one real question we start by asking and it’s not “Is it possible.” The question we ask is “Does God speak truth?”

If the answer to this question is “yes,” then the answer to above questions (and others like it) will not be answered according to the capacity of my cranium, but in accordance with Scripture and I will not be the judge of the Word, but the Word the judge of me.

So, if Jesus speaks truth and He says, “This is my body…” well, I guess He means it. And if the Scripture says the Spirit is poured out in baptism, well, I guess infants can have the Holy Spirit and faith.

I guess the task of the theologian then is to learn to ask the right question: “Does God speak truth?”

Thoughts?

No comments: