Saturday, April 12, 2008

Your Average Extraordinary God-glorifying Vocation: Parenthood

Been thinking a bit lately bout vocation, specifically parenthood (obviously my thoughts won’t apply to everyone).

There’s nothing glorious in diapers, duplos, and discipline… but why should I expect there to be? Should I expect praise for doing my job?

No, there certainly isn’t glory for me. For me there is a constant cross… For me there is a daily death… For me there is an unceasing self-denial…

And isn’t that what my vocation is supposed to be? Isn’t that how my flesh is mortified?

Wingren says it well, “In one’s vocation there is a cross… and on this cross the old human nature is to be crucified. Here the side of baptism which is concerned with death is fulfilled. Christ died on the cross, and one who is baptized unto death with Christ must be put to death on the cross” (Luther on Vocation by Gustaf Wingren 29).

Wingren elaborates, “To understand what is meant by the cross of vocation, we need only remember that vocation is ordained by God to benefit, not him who fulfils the vocation, but the neighbor…. Under this cross are included even the most trivial of difficulties, such as: in marriage, the care of babes, which interferes with sleep and enjoyment; in government, unruly subjects and promoters of revolt; in the ministry, the whole resistance of reformation; in heavy labor, shabbiness, uncleanness, and the contempt of the proud” (Luther on Vocation by Gustaf Wingren 29).

No, no glory for me.[1]

For Jesus my Lord, my Redeemer, My Savior, however, there is glory. When I am faithful, He is glorified and God through Him… and when Jesus is glorified, I, well, I’m deeply satisfied.

And isn’t that what makes parenthood an average extraordinary God-glorifying vocation?



[1] No glory for me, but Scripture does speak of reward (in this life and the next) for faithfulness. That, however, is for another post.

1 comment:

Reb. Mary said...

I don't know...I think some of your duplo towers are pretty glorious :)